Do you feel like its time to move your career forward and ask for a promotion? Progression in the workplace is exciting, and your plan to take your role to the next level should be well thought out and taken seriously. The sense of achievement a promotion brings has no comparison to anything else in the workplace, so we have put together a list of 7 points to start considering and working on to help you land that next step up with your career.
- Sit down with your manager and let them know where you want to go with your career and ask them what do you need to do to be considered for the promotion you are seeking.
- Set a goal with milestones to hit that will move you in the direction of achieving your promotion. This is an exercise to do in your next one on one catch up with your manager.
- Note down your achievements – look at what benefits these have had to the company and share them with your manager to remind them of your positive contribution to the business.
- Skills – Look at where you need to upskill to move your career forward. If you want to manage a team, you might want to look at undertaking a leadership course.
- Take on extra responsibility – Show that you are ready to take on more by putting your hand up when your manager is looking for additional help. Share ideas in meetings, teach your co-works tips or tricks you have mastered to make your role more efficient
- Connect with a mentor – They can be in or out of your organisation, some businesses and professional bodies even offer mentoring programs. Having a mentor allows you to learn from someone who has been in your role. They can also give you an insight into the position you are aspiring to be in.
- Attitude – Be humble, positive and most importantly be a team player that is happy to help those around you. Your attitude to the job and your team will have a large bearing on the success of your promotion.